September 21, 2014, 11:05:06 AM

Author Topic: DDO - Point Grinding (Work In Progress)  (Read 4365 times)

Offline Valindria

• LoSer
    • View Profile
DDO - Point Grinding (Work In Progress)
« on: December 15, 2009, 12:33:53 PM »
Turbine Points (TP) are used to buy content/items in DDO. So far I have spent a decent amount of real money to buy points. For the most part it hasn't been bad, and I view it like an expansion pack purchase. I have gotten to the point were I don't want to buy anymore. You can gain TP in game so it is theoretically possible to grind out favor.

There are 2 ways to get TP via favor.

1. Every 100 favor your char gets in game gives 25 TP. Favor is gained by doing quests. Quests done on elite give the most favor.
2. 1 time per server there are bonus favor gains.

Premise: Every 100 Favor gives 25 TP. Gain 100 Favor as fast as possible on a toon (for 25 tp) then delete and repeat.

This is not my idea. Someone on the DDO forums came up with the idea of doing the easiest quest to get 100 favor and then repeat.

I created a 2nd account on my laptop and will use this free account to build a character to rush my main through quests.

Code: [Select]
Valindria's Point Grinder
Level 8 Neutral Good Human
(8 Bard)
Hit Points: 92
Spell Points: 296

Starting    Feat/Enhancement
             Base Stats    Modified Stats
Abilities    (Level 1)      (Level 8)
Strength           16                18 (20 if +1 tome and human enhance at 8. 22 raged)
Dexterity          10                10
Constitution       16                16 (18 raged)
Intelligence        8                 8
Wisdom              8                 8
Charisma           14                16

Level 1 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell
Feat: (Human Bonus) Two Handed Fighting
Spell (1): Cure Light Wounds (switch to Detect Doors after next Cure)

Level 2 (Bard)
Spell (1): Master's Touch

Level 3 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Spell (1): Expeditious Retreat

Level 4 (Bard)
Ability Raise: STR
Spell (2): Blur
Spell (2): Cure Moderate Wounds (switch to Rage or Invis. after next Cure)

Level 5 (Bard)
Spell (1): Focusing Chant

Level 6 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Attack I
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Bravery I
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Bravery II
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Damage I
Enhancement: Bard Lingering Song I
Enhancement: Warchanter I
Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
Enhancement: Bard Lyric of Song I
Enhancement: Bard Song Magic I
Enhancement: Bard Song Magic II
Enhancement: Bard Energy of the Music I
Enhancement: Bard Charisma I
Enhancement: Bard Charisma II

Level 7 (Bard)
Spell (2): Heroism
Spell (3): Haste
Spell (3): Cure Serious Wounds

Level 8 (Bard)
Ability Raise: STR
Spell (3): Displacement
Enhancement: Human Con or STR and buy a +1 tome

Gives 30% better heal spells to self with 3% crit chance. Buffs and heals should be good. Damage should be fine. Consider toughness over THF for more hit points. Level 8 should be able to solo rush the quests effectively. The only thing lacking is a way to deal with Traps. 1 or 2 levels of rogue could be be added to take care of traps if needed. Buffs and invisibility mean the char should be able to rush most areas.

Speed: Haste, Expeditious Retreat (lasts 16 minutes with extend).
Buffs: Blur (20% chance to miss for 16 min), Displacement (50% chance to miss for ~2-3 minutes), Warchanter song for DR, Bard song for damage, Invisibility for running past mobs without triggering the Dungeon Alert.

Suggested Quest List:

The Store Houseís Secret-6
Heytonís Rest-6
The Collaborator-12
The Cannith Crystal-6
Durkís Got a Secret-12
Garrisonís Missing Pack-12
Information is Key-12
Stealthy Repossession-9
The Koboldís New Ringleader-12
Bring the Light-6
Recover the Lost Tomb-9
Total: Quest-11 Favor-102

These can each be soloed in ~1-4 mins
Deleting a char + create new char + running between quests + logging out: 4mins
10s to enter+exit~2 mins

Some other options:

Defend Haverdasher - Harbor, Kalimnal d'Kundarak, 6
The Millerís Debt (Solo Only) - Harbor, Berrigan Enge, 2 - this one is solo only but it is cake if 2 points are needed
The Sunken Sewer - Marketplace, Aurla Courson, 9
Missing in Action - Marketplace, Ulcana Braddock, 9

After the Rushing account gets enough TP it could buy the Sharn Syndicate for series. Most are very short and fast for 6 points each on elite (36 for entire chain).

Adventure Pack: The Sharn Syndicate
Level: 4
Included Quests-favor
The Bookbinder Rescue-6
Come out and Slay-6 (Has potential to be fast or slow. Needs testing to verifiy.)
Repossession-6
Stand Your Ground-6 (Could probably be skipped since its the wait for waves of enemies style quest)
The Stormreaver fresco-6
Dirty laundry-6
Total: Quest-6 Favor-36

The Setup:
1 Main Account (MA) with Veteran status (1000 total favor on a server).
1 Alter Account (AA) with a level 8-10 Bard as listed above. Free to play with purchased Sharn Series.

MA will create a new veteran char. This will start them at level 4 with some gear and place them in the market place. The AA will open the closest quest on elite.

One HUGE advantage here is all you care about is favor. Since all you care about is favor you don't even need to bother picking up the quests from the quest givers. Just open on elite with the "The Chapter/Quest has not been bestowed to you" message. A path can be created to optimize starting from the Marketplace doing all quests here, then Harbor, then Korthos Island. This path is actually backwards from the normal progression. I imagine 15 minutes to get 100 favor is pretty aggressive so I would say allow at least a half an hour to try until you get the true hang of it. Honestly I think adding at least 4 Sharn quests for 24 favor will cut a lot of time off. The slow down will come from having to guide 2 toons to the quest each time.

Val's Theoretical Best Quest List:
Korthos Island:
    * The Store Houseís Secret-6
    * Heytonís Rest-6
    * The Collaborator-12
Harbor:
    * Durkís Got a Secret-12
    * The Koboldís New Ringleader-12
    * Bring the Light-6
    * Recover the Lost Tomb-9
    * Defend Haverdasher - Harbor, Kalimnal d'Kundarak, 6
    * The Millerís Debt (Solo Only)* - 2 - this one is solo only but it is cake if 2 points are needed
Market Place:
    * The Sunken Sewer - Marketplace, Aurla Courson, 9
    * Missing in Action - Marketplace, Ulcana Braddock, 9
    * The Stormreaver fresco (Sharn)-6*
    * Dirty laundry(Sharn)-6*
-------------
101 Total Favor

The Cannith Crystal - 6 (Korthos Island. cut for mob spawn)*
Garrisonís Missing Pack-12 - (Cut for length)
Information is Key-12 (Cut for Length)
Stealthy Repossession-9 (Harbor - Cut due to DA?)*
Come out and Slay-6 (Has potential to be fast or slow. Needs testing to verifiy. Cut for now. *After talking with a friend it would end up being really slow because it require the party to be at 2 locations before going on.)
The Bookbinder Rescue-6 (cut for Traps/ people have to live)
Repossession-6 (cut for traps, may need to reconsider)
Stand Your Ground-6 (cut for waiting on mobs)

* Optional Swaps, If you don't have Sharn you could drop out The Stormreaver fresco, Dirty laundry, and The Millerís Debt for The Cannith Crystal and Stealthy Repossession
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 11:44:34 AM by Valindria »
DDO: Valindria
GW: Vincente Valtieri, Saraphin Salias, Agrias Salias
disclaimer: the above post may not make sense ~

Offline Unchosen

• LoSer
  • <b>Does this work?</b>
    • View Profile
Re: DDO - Point Grinding (Work In Progress)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:16:43 PM »
Got any screen shots for this game you're playing, bro? Looks like you're having alot of fun.

Offline Valindria

• LoSer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 10:32:35 AM »
The only image I have access to is one of my Bard on the Beta Server. Not really that impressive of a screen shot but it's kind of cool cause it happened to be raining at that time.

One thing I am no longer sure of is the quest bestowed part. I think one person in the party might need to have the quest active before anyone can go in. I will double check at a later date. If this is the case it adds a quest sharing step that shouldn't be too bad in theory. Only one person in the party needs the quest and it really needs the quests active.

DDO has a really cool feature, if someone in your party has an active quest and you don't have it or have completed it, the person has an option to share the quest with the party. This means you don't have to run to the NPC to talk to them to get the quest. It's pretty awesome in normal game play with friends and can be used to our advantage

Plan A (more time consuming but a tiny amount of $ could be made):
1. AA gets all quests active
2. When run is done AA runs to all the NPCs and gets rewards and chooses repeat quest option

Plan B (in theory faster):
1. AA gets all the quests active.
2. AA opens quest on elite, both accounts go in
3. AA rushes to end of the quest completing it.
4. When the quest completes MA leaves via the front door. AA stays in quest at 1st.
5. When MA is outside, AA will share the quest and finish.
6. When the entire chain is done, AA abandons all quests. MA shares all the quests

Plan C (3 toon shuffle):
I just thought of this one. My MA Bard (ie level 15 as of today) could have all of these quests active but never complete.
1. Log on with MA Bard and AA Rusher (also bard) and party up
2. MA bard shares all quests, then logs off
3. MA creates new toon to be rushed.

I think Plan C is the best. The money to be made of off plan A isn't worth the time running to all the NPCs. Also the goal is favor and not $. Plan C might still require the AA to abandon all the quests before getting them
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 12:00:19 PM by Valindria »

Offline Unbroken

• LoSer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 02:04:17 PM »
Every time I see a thumbnail of some new MMO, I think "Whoa they changed GW's interface, let's have a look!" and then I open it and feel something akin to disappointment.
There's no such thing as an unbroken law of physics.

Offline Valindria

• LoSer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 10:49:53 AM »
The Sharn Syndicate Adventure pack is on sale this week for 50% off. I was able to get enough points on my 2nd account to purchase this. Now all I need is ~ 3 levels on the alt bard and I should be able to attempt my 1st run.

I have read on the forums of people getting 100 favor in 45 minutes. I am hopping I can do better than that but I guess we will see how well my planing goes.

Offline Valindria

• LoSer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 10:30:20 AM »
Quote from: Shishizaru;2879203
If you just need to take a bit of a break, or even if you need to take a giant break, you can keep yourself logged in without getting kicked.

ESC -> Logout -> Do NOT confirm it

If this works it would make dual boxing quests much easier. You can just get your alt into the quest and set up the logout dialog. When the quest is complete you say no.

As an update on this, I still haven't done anything with it. I have been having fun just playing the game. There are now 3 adventure packs left for me to buy (4 but one of them I wont buy). So I might look at doing this again eventually. There is also a guild created on a different server dedicated to TP framing. They guys goal is to unlock the entire game without spending in any real money on it.